Having a healthy and balanced diet is one thing, but by adding a moderate amount of exercise into your life, you can significantly improve your health and the quality of your life. While many are more concerned with having fun than staying fit, beach volleyball is the best of both worlds. It is an excellent and fun way to stay physically fit and healthy, so it does not come as a shock to find out that playing beach volleyball is not just fun, but is also excellent for your health and well-being. By just playing (low intensity) 45 minutes of beach volleyball you can burn up to 585 calories! This can help significantly with weight loss for those who are looking to do so over an extended period of time.
While you may not need any more reasons to play, read on to find out some of the health and wellness benefits that one can achieve by playing beach volleyball regularly.
- Improves overall performance in workouts and in other sports
• Helps enhance the health of your joint and bones
• Increases energy level
• Improves flexibility of the feet and hands
• It’s healthy for your body and heart
• Fun and effective way to burn fat and calories
• Reduces your risk of diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, and heart disease
• Helps agility and sprint speed
• Improves coordination and balance
• Helps build muscular strength in the upper body, arms, shoulders, thighs, and lower legs
• Will tone and shape your body
• Can help increase your metabolic rate
• Develops and strengthens fast reflexes
• Improves your interpersonal and networking skills
• Helps improve hand-eye coordination
• Increases your aerobic ability
• Improves mood, mental health, reduces stress, and helps self-esteem
• Boosts mental concentration skills
• Great way to stay involved socially
• Helps improve circulation
• Strengthens and tones the respiratory and cardiovascular system- a great cardiovascular exercise!
• Improves overall health and well-being
DID YOU KNOW? 11 INTERESTING BEACH VOLLEYBALL FACTS
Did you know that volleyball is considered to be the second most popular sport in the world? It’s true! Beach volleyball is a favorite among many and is played across the globe. As beach volleyball enthusiasts, we are sure you are not surprised to hear this fact. In fact, you probably think that volleyball should hold the number one spot. Beach volleyball is a fast and invigorating sport that requires speed, power, agility and excellent hand-eye coordination. So the only way you don’t like this sport is if you don’t have a pulse.
We know you love volleyball, but do you have all the facts? Check out our list of interesting beach volleyball facts to educate yourself on what you don’t yet know!
- Before volleyball was known as volleyball, it was known as mintonette.
- In 1900, the first ball specifically designed for volleyball was created.
- Beach volleyball clubs began appearing in Santa Monica during the 1920s.
- Santa Monica in California is often credited as the birthplace of modern beach volleyball.
- Ever wonder who developed the concept of two-man beach volleyball? It was Paul “Pablo” Johnson, and the first two-man beach volleyball game was played in 1930.
- Beach volleyball began to appear in Europe during the 1930’s.
- During a match, volleyball players on average jump about 300 times. No wonder volleyball players are so fit!
- The first professional beach volleyball tournament (Olympia World Championship of Beach Volleyball) took place at Will Rogers State Beach in 1976.
- Beach volleyball is the only Olympic sport that has a rule prohibiting players from wearing too much!
- In 1992, beach volleyball was introduced at the Summer Olympics. In 1996, beach volleyball finally became an official Olympic sport for both women and men.
- Due to the soft nature of the sand, serious injuries are rare in beach volleyball. So what are you waiting for? Get out there and play!